Hi Bill,

Yes, this is indeed the problem! I’ve found more problems in the MIB file and I
reached out to the manufacturer.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers
Spencer

On Jul 2, 2021, at 12:38 PM, Bill Fenner
<fen...@gmail.com<mailto:fen...@gmail.com>> wrote:

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 12:13 PM Gessner, Spencer J. via Net-snmp-users
<net-snmp-users@lists.sourceforge.net<mailto:net-snmp-users@lists.sourceforge.net>>
 wrote:

I run into the following issue when trying to get/set certain objects. For
example:

>> snmpget -v 2c -c public poe-b34-ex01
>> POWER-ETHERNET-MIB::pethPsePortAdminEnable.0.1
POWER-ETHERNET-MIB::pethPsePortAdminEnable.0.1: Unknown Object Identifier
(Index out of range: 0 (pethPsePortGroupIndex))

This is saying that value 0 for pethPsePortGroupIndex is invalid according to
the MIB:

     pethPsePortGroupIndex OBJECT-TYPE
       SYNTAX      Integer32 (1..2147483647)

0 is not inside the range 1..2147483647.

But if I use the input option “r” it works:

>> snmpget -v 2c -c public -Ir poe-b34-ex01
>> POWER-ETHERNET-MIB::pethPsePortAdminEnable.0.1
POWER-ETHERNET-MIB::pethPsePortAdminEnable.0.1 = INTEGER: true(1)

That is a good solution, but I am working with software that is part of the
EPICS control system and it does not accept the “r” option.

My question is why is the “r” option needed in the first place? Is there
something wrong with the MIB file?

There is something wrong with the vendor's implementation.  They are storing 0
in a place where the MIB says that 0 is not a valid value.  "-Ir" says that
net-snmp should allow the use of values that violate the restrictions of the
MIB.

I am not familiar with EPICS, but perhaps it has a configuration to allow the
use of values that violate the restrictions of the MIB.  Alternately, you could
see if the vendor could fix the bug in their implementation (and of course
upgrade the software on your devices).

  Bill