uncanny 1920

(replacing the other version, which was a Win10 numbering system
that only worked in some apps. apologies, these should be fine -
the others have been removed.)

around the coherency of those very old Nova Scotia photographs
I've presented and worked with, in Halifax, talking about
absence, the photographic paper itself, the eerie reflections of
silver salts (?) rising to the surface, that odd purple, the
disappearance of - not only detail but - distance itself, think
of a chora calmed by solitons, smoothed and uncanny fabrics -

http://www.alansondheim.org/19201.JPG
http://www.alansondheim.org/19202.JPG
http://www.alansondheim.org/19203.JPG
http://www.alansondheim.org/19204.JPG
http://www.alansondheim.org/19206.JPG
http://www.alansondheim.org/19207.JPG
http://www.alansondheim.org/19208.JPG
http://www.alansondheim.org/19209.JPG
http://www.alansondheim.org/192010.JPG
http://www.alansondheim.org/192011.JPG
http://www.alansondheim.org/192012.JPG
http://www.alansondheim.org/192013.JPG
http://www.alansondheim.org/192014.JPG
http://www.alansondheim.org/192015.JPG
http://www.alansondheim.org/192016.JPG
http://www.alansondheim.org/192017.JPG

i thought i'd learn something from this, contemplation of a past
known only to my father's generation, blurred memories of Mrs.
Greenbaum and her chauffeur across the street, the small home,
dark stucco, the large black car, my Grandpa Weiss and Aunt
Bertha living down the street a short distance, the enormous
tree in the backyard where beings lived, the attic where things
acquired a life of their own, an antique set of Indian clubs,
the pillars and the front porch, the duplex next to my cousin
Cathey, or did we, then moving from Reynolds Street to Ford
Avenue, an Avenue in name only, and later the floods came and
the old photographs there washed away like so many otherings in
my life

and so far from the porousness of the nation-state caught in a
valley (Wyoming, the state's named after us), the physicality of
the surrounding mountains and winding roads across them, the
smog, unions, strikes, death (when I was in Sydney, N.S. it
seemed all too familiar) - it was always a question of _site,
cite, sight_ - so images from the underside of the nation-state,
counterfeiting what it's always already been like for most of us
-