Alan,

I absolutely lived every moment of this. I was just thinking 'Every single traffic light is against them' when you said it out loud - and then Azure shot the last one before the freeway, turning from amber to red as you reached it, which seemed really dangerous and reckless but also like some kind of symbolic victory over the system. At first I couldn't work out if you were on your way to the hospital or going home afterwards, but your remark that this could be the start of a cross-country trip had such a note of wishful thinking that I realized you must be on your way. With that in mind the satnav instructions started to sound more and more ominous, and when they announced that you were arriving at your destination, and as you drove into the car park you confessed that you were starting to get nervous, the tension was palpable. After watching the video I found myself having to read Philip Larkin's poem The Hospital: 'O world, /Your loves, your chances, are beyond the stretch /Of any hand from here!' That terrible sense that the hospital/medical world, the world of illness and mortality and fate, is the underlying reality we spend our lives trying to ignore, and that 'normal' life is just a dream. Very appropriate to the Covid crisis.

Edward