Hi Joseph,

Thank you for giving your time to viewing the post/page 'The Year of
Covid-19, Death and Collages'.

>I really appreciate your honesty and integrity in the writing of this
piece...

This is where I am right now - it may not fit into any required art canons
or niches, but so what!

>I’m not on here much, but it’s so good to hear of others' experiences
>right now and am very touched to hear of your recent losses and a
>renewed passion for making nevertheless.

I know I've said something like in another emailhere. Anyway, if we can't
do what we really wish to be now, then what's the point? Especially now.

>I guess emerging out of the PhD wormhole has facilitated that to a
>large degree. I’m in the middle of mine and trying to balance the
>theoretical journey with a need to protect my own precious making
>space, which is always getting impinged upon, even in a practice-
>based PhD.

Yes, I know that very well. My PhD was an all-over academic one. What made
it different to other most academic PhDs, is that it was based on
Autoethnographic research. It was quite a challenge. Got through it though
:-)

But, as you say - dealing with finishing the PhD, two deaths in the family
and existing through Lockdown, while trying to manage Furthefield and
survive, has certainly been a struggle. Not just this, we're moving house
soon. So, that's a whole pile of substance to manage one's way through.

However, I'm feeling quite chirpy because I am closer to who I need to be
than ever before, and I hope this can be said with respect to your good
self and others using this list.

Wishing you well.

Marc

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 at 13:46, Joseph Young via NetBehaviour <
netbehaviour@lists.netbehaviour.org> wrote:

> Hi Marc,
>
> I really appreciate your honesty and integrity in the writing of this
> piece… I’m not on here much, but it’s so good to hear of others'
> experiences right now and am very touched to hear of your recent losses and
> a renewed passion for making nevertheless - I guess emerging out of the PhD
> wormhole has facilitated that to a large degree. I’m in the middle of mine
> and trying to balance the theoretical journey with a need to protect my own
> precious making space, which is always getting impinged upon, even in a
> practice-based PhD.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Joseph
>
> Joseph Young
> *Artist*
> artofnoises.com
> *@artofnoises*
>
> PhD Candidate, SMARTlab University College Dublin
> Irish Research Council Scholar
>

> On 14 Apr 2021, at 11:00, netbehaviour-requ...@lists.netbehaviour.org
> wrote:
>
> Re: The Year of Covid-19, Death and Collages. (marc garrett)

Wishing you well

Marc

Dr Marc Garrett

Lab

Furtherfield disrupts & democratises art and technology through
exhibitions, labs & debate, for deep exploration, open tools & free
thinking. http://www.furtherfield.org

DECAL Decentralised Arts Lab is an arts, blockchain & web 3.0 technologies
research hub for fairer, more dynamic & connected cultural ecologies &
economies now. http://decal.is/

Recent publications:

State Machines: Reflections & Actions at the Edge of Digital Citizenship,
Finance, & Art. Edited by Yiannis Colakides, Marc Garrett, Inte Gloerich.
Institute of Network Cultures, Amsterdam 2019 http://bit.do/eQgg3

Artists Re:thinking the Blockchain. Eds, Ruth Catlow, Marc Garrett, Nathan
Jones, & Sam Skinner. Liverpool Press - http://bit.ly/2x8XlMK