Block time tends to be constant, or at least it tends to target a
constant rate. This prevents miners from mining one block per
transaction and taking the block reward, and makes reasoning about
different aspects of block production.

Block rate targets vary from 10 minutes down to one second(!).

People would like Bitcoin to handle many more transactions than it
currently does, and it is here that the block size wars come in. But
changing its ten minute target doesn’t seem to be a thing. 🙂