Hi Ana,

I was thinking today or yesterday that a key feature of a labyrinth or maze is
you can't solve it in advance then speed through.  You have to experience it,
and it has unpredictable or random features.  This calls for a certain being
present, with a place, time, and task or activity.  The task has no purpose
beyond its being experienced.

It's also a prehistoric art form, arguably, going back to stone circles or
indigenous "medicine wheels," thus having omni-cultural aspects perhaps.  There
is often a link between microcosm and macrocosm implied or stated.  I'm sure
there must be electronic ways to mediate such an activity but since digital
technology makes it so easy and profitable to script an environment, and since
the body is somewhat excluded from electronic settings, that may be more the
norm in our hopefully still early stages.

I've never been to Chartres, but Warburgs Atlas has an unscripted "place"
aspect to it, as may possibly the Berlin exhibit of Leonardo's Books by the
Planck Institute till June 28 (where the artifacts are arranged kind of like
maze they say, plus with a vortex of papers at the center, but still there is
no travel there from here).  I did see the 2019 showing at the Museo Galileo,
which started off all my interest in Leonardo, so I'm interested to see what
the virtual version of the Berlin exhibit is like.

All best,

Max

https://www.mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de/research/exhibition/leonardos-intellectual-cosmos-2021