If anyone can make sense of this article by Nail et al., please do!  πŸ™‚

https://www.academia.edu/40986241/WHAT_IS_NEW_MATERIALISM

________________________________
From: NetBehaviour <netbehaviour-boun...@lists.netbehaviour.org> on behalf of
Max Herman via NetBehaviour <netbehaviour@lists.netbehaviour.org>
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2021 11:38 AM
To: netbehaviour@lists.netbehaviour.org <netbehaviour@lists.netbehaviour.org>
Cc: Max Herman <maxnmher...@hotmail.com>; Anthony Stephenson
<aps0l...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [NetBehaviour] NetBehaviour Digest, Vol 1326, Issue 1

Hi Anthony,

Super interesting reference to Thomas Nail's work!  I wonder if "Being and
Motion" is a reference to "Being and Time"?  My philosophy reading is even
patchier than my Joyce.

In my research about Leonardo, much of which has consisted of emailing art
historians to ask for recommended reference works, I have noticed that most art
historians create a boundary around Leonardo that places him "outside" the
circle of philosophers.  I find this to be an obstacle to making his work
comprehensible.  He certainly avoided belonging to any philosophical school in
his own day, and for myriad reasons worked in dozens of different fields, but
there is a vast amount of his writing that cannot be described as anything
other than the philosophy of motion.  Even better, he used visual means of
articulating his philosophical views, so I would be curious to ask Nail if he
has looked at any of Leonardo's writings or (as you point out may be lacking in
his approach) imagery.

Here is a quote from Leonardo's notebooks (all of which must be taken with a
grain of salt) of the sort which has prompted the above kind of question:

"If you condemn painting, which is the only imitator of all visible works of
nature, you will certainly despise a subtle invention which brings philosophy
[italics mine] and subtle speculation to the consideration of the nature of all
forms β€” seas and plains, trees, animals, plants and flowers β€” which are
surrounded by shade and light. And this is true knowledge and the legitimate
issue of nature; for painting is born of nature β€” or, to speak more correctly,
we will say it is the grandchild of nature; for all visible things are produced
by nature, and these her children have given birth to painting."

This coincidentally appears on the front page of Wikiquote today (Aldous Huxley
on experience):

"The poet is, etymologically, the maker. Like all makers, [they require] a
stock of raw materials β€” in his case, experience. Now experience is not a
matter of having actually swum the Hellespont, or danced with the dervishes, or
slept in a doss-house. It is a matter of sensibility and intuition, of seeing
and hearing the significant things, of paying attention at the right moments,
of understanding and co-ordinating. Experience is not what happens to a
[person]; it is what a [person] does with what happens to [them]. It is a gift
for dealing with the accidents of existence, not the accidents themselves. By a
happy dispensation of nature, the poet generally possesses the gift of
experience in conjunction with that of expression. What [they say] so well is
therefore intrinsically of value."
~ Aldous Huxley ~

All best,

Max

PS -- not sure if I posted this before, but it's a poem I wrote in early June:

If you really want to try to write
To listen is the easy early step.
And not to targets set you by adepts
But lingered sounds around a pool by night.
Not just to whorls of darkness and of blight
For magic shadows of a hand that slept
Half a millennium, although it kept
A fast, can indicate and trace the light.
A thread under a spider’s touch will quiver
In rain, a cruel sun, or raging storm
The glands from which it flowed shattered and broken
Yet since the birth of time a sinuous river
Has nested births and spun the wheel-spoke form
From which the dream of touch has never woken.

PPS -- in his 2019 book Theory of the Image Nail does appear to be looking very
much at the visual.  Based on the table of contents, the book discusses many
topics dealt with by Leonardo and appearing (I would propose) in the Mona Lisa
(Esperienza) including confluence, knots, experience, percussive light,
Lucretius, etc. as well as  Leonardo's fascinating Deluge images from late in
his career.
https://www.academia.edu/39151487/Theory_of_the_Image_Oxford_University_Press_2019_
I see that the table of contents of Being and Motion does allude to Being and
Time, as well as other topics I see well represented in Leonardo's work (and
his portrait I believe to be of Esperienza) such as interval, continuum,
circulation, knot, conjunction, etc.  My philosophy reading is too weak for me
not to get confused by discussions of logos and phenomenology, sad to say.  πŸ™‚
However I found Joost Keizer's book Leonardo's Paradox to be very interesting
about writing as kinetic and visual; his article on allegory, words, and
"moving" images also gets at some ideas which are interesting re the Nail
topics.
https://www.academia.edu/3186326/_Leonardo_and_Allegory_Oxford_Art_Journal_35_2012_433_55