Hi Johannes,

That sounds like a great project!  I will check it out.

The book actually delves quite a lot into water as itself being a bridge.  For
example, it claims that the Latin word for bridge derives from the ancient
Greek word for sea, and that ancient Greece understood the sea to be a "bridge"
among its many islands.

The book also looks at transits in general, for example by ferry, and how they
compare to and differ from bridges.  Often, locations where bridges are built
are chosen to replace excess ferry traffic (as with the Golden Gate bridge).
In cultural traditions ferry-crossings often represent transits which are
one-way or controlled by a guardian or deity (such as Charon, about whom so
many great artworks have been made).  I absolutely agree that in a sense -- if
I'm not misunderstanding your point -- bridges are to technology what rivers
are to nature, and they are profoundly related on basically every level while
retaining fundamental aspects of difference.

After closer reading I'll check to see if the book considers rivers in the
sense that they connect, as it were, the planet's water with itself, perhaps
between its atmospheric and terrestrial states.  To me they definitely do!  🙂
And this kind of perspective goes back to forever I think as in the Nile,
Ganges, and so forth.

All very best and happy autumnal equinox,

Max