Hi Johannes,

The essay you recommend is beautiful; I've had a similar experience going
through my NEXT archives at U. Washington Vancouver, thanks to Dene Grigar.
My issue is that I keep producing new work and - this holds for so many of
us - it's met with silence. I'm a creature of the network, caught in the
network (classical, not quantum, always prone to irretrievable errors! :-)
). I'm beginning to think, at least here in Rhode Island, the issue isn't
age so much as the appearance of age: I *look *old, ungainly, etc. etc, and
this is a detriment. No one talks about ageism anymore, at least in my
circles, in spite of the fact that all the local galleries in PVD (kinds of
places I used to participate in) are for 'youth' entirely. If I hear the
term "boomers" one more time I'll scream. (There's also increasing
antagonism towards Jews of course, but that's talked about even less.)
Argh. In any case, we're adrift here.

As I wrote you backchannel, I do try to help others online; I've "been
there" as have so many people I know. But we're siloed. I've been relying
on Fb for online community, but Fb is falling apart - I'm not sure what's
happening there but two things are occurring more and more - 1. Blank
images, things slowed or not loading at all, Fb freeziing (and I'm on
optical w/ a fairly fast machine), too many cluttered messages
announcements, etc.; and 2. Interference with user pleasure (of the text
etc.) and usage - for example - you click on something that says "View
previous comments" or "View all comments" - and you have to keep clicking
to get things t come up - sometimes the comments list even cuts off
permanently. We're clickbait, spreadsheet insertions, not human beings
within a commons. And it's a horror. But for people like myself, we put up
with this - there are vestiges of communication in messenger or some such,
tatters of community. I worry about people disappearing entirely - have
they died, are they suicidal, are they in hospital, and so forth. Fb has
the potential of becoming a graveyard...

I've had hope even now for antiquated elists - the Wryting-L list I run is
definitely a community. And what gives me even more heart is the community
email list from my old Dean Street neighborhood in Brooklyn - it's running
strong, it's a Commons in action, and it's amazing. ...

Just ruminations, hope I'm not taking up too much time -

Best, Alan, and thank you -