Hi all,

I had a vague sense of having heard of his book The Tao of Physics (1975) at
some point, but only this week found Fritjof Capra's writings about Leonardo.
He sees a lot of the systems and network principles in Leonardo's work that I
also believe to be there.  Specific books of interest are The Science of
Leonardo (2007) and Learning From Leonardo (2013).

Capra points out the centrality of experience, spelled variously esperienza,
sperientia, sperienza, and the like, for Leonardo's method.  This word in
Italian means both experiment and experience, thus Capra sees Leonardo's
writings like "experience is the common mother of all the sciences and arts" as
the practical start of scientific method in Europe (preceding Galileo's
Dialogue by over a century) as well as the birth of modern, i.e. post-medieval,
art.  Capra points out dozens of cases where Leonardo outlined in basic terms
scientific discoveries not made subsequently until as late as the 20th century.
 Of special interest and beauty are Leonardo's scientific studies of water,
geology, light, botany, anatomy, and the transformational flow underlying all
natural processes.

Capra also writes that esperienza, in the sense of scientific experiment, was
illegal in Leonardo's time if in any way it contradicted the scientific
writings of Aristotle.  Like any censored scientist, might not Leonardo have
considered presenting his ideas in a camouflaged or allegorical form?  This
makes the Mona Lisa, in one of its potential functions, a portrait of the
scientific method itself.  Capra does not propose this but it is consistent
with his facts and assertions.  (Capra sees the ML as an image of the
life-sustaining power of Gaia, the whole-earth system, which is certainly one
valid aspect of the image I would agree; seeing the portrait as also
allegorical of human science only adds to and reinforces such themes.)

Yet further: Leonardo wrote on multiple occasions about the work of academic
scholars and scientists being metaphorical garments, robes signifying knowledge
and authority.  He contrasted those who wore their knowledge of the works of
others as a garment of authority with his own self-made garment which he
created with the guidance of Esperienza:

"I am fully aware that the fact of my not being a lettered man may cause
certain arrogant persons to think that they may with reason censure me,
alleging that I am a man without letters.  Foolish folk!  Do they not know that
I may retort by saying, as did Marius to the Roman patricians: 'They who
themselves go adorned in the labour of others will not permit me my own?' They
will say that, because of my lack of book learning, I cannot properly express
what I desire to expound upon. Do they know that my subjects are based on
experience rather than the words of others? And experience has been the maestra
of those who wrote well. And so, as maestra, I will acknowledge her and, in
every case, I will give her as evidence."

Therefore it makes logical sense to consider the garment of Esperienza in the
Mona Lisa to be a metaphor of the products of art and science, both worn and
woven by Esperienza, and the bridge which leads the eye from the background of
empty nature to the present foreground to be the flow of the history of that
art and science as leading to the present moment.  To view these static
objects--the garment and bridge--as moving, dynamic, and metaphorical is an
example of Leonardo's method, pointed out by Capra, of applying geometry to
transformational processes.  Leonardo called this "geometry done with motion,"
and explained it using both direct observation of nature and mathematical
principles (as in the work of Poincare) still valid today.

Capra argues that the transformation of science from mechanistic reduction to
holistic, integrated, systemic, and network-oriented forms is still incomplete,
and that its urgent acceleration, which might well be aided by the proper
understanding of Leonardo's work, is the primary need if humanity is to adapt
successfully and create a sustainable planetary environment.  One could even
say that without direct experience and experiment in the arts and sciences,
network and otherwise, performed by living humans today, we cannot successfully
build or traverse a bridge to a sustainable future.

All best,

Max