From ETC (Experimental Television Center) history -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2xtv5rl57k

"Alan Sondheim

Foofwa was with Merce Cunningham at the time, and we recorded him with a
number of cameras which were switched on and off by my voice. The music
had been prerecorded at ETC as well. The work emphasizes the physicality
of classical ballet in relation to the real body and exhaustion of the
dancer.

I tended to work quickly at ETC in general; years before, in 1967, we had
built a music synthesizer with VCO, VCA, etc. from scratch - there were no
blueprints at the time. So I became familiar with analog controls early on
- and the ensuing production techniques that emerged from them. ETC
allowed this all to occur in what was, for me, an ideal workspace /
livespace / playspace / dancespace/ performance space - an open loft next
to the Susquehanna River (I grew up in Kingston, Pennsylvania, next to the
same) - with a bookstore across the street, a still bridge which we could
attach contact microphones to, a town with a gazebo perfect for dancework
at 4 a.m. in the morning, nature and ponds around, and so forth. I
remember a bat flying over our heads one night when we were falling asleep
- wonderful!

The equipment was relatively easy to use, and I tried to work with
everything, including a very old character generator which was the core of
some of my work. I loved the analog video synthesizers as well, which were
more like living organisms - one negotiated with them, and that was always
amazing. I used the Mirage Ensoniq constantly for music; its combination
of analog and digital with floppies was breathtaking. Later I found a
second-hand one but it gave out on me; I still try to find one to use for
my music/soundwork.

You ask about "citizen of the world" - but it was more like citizen of the
Universe! The machines had an inner light of their own, and living and
working in the same space meant we could get up at 4 a.m. if one of us had
an idea, and work through the night. In the short times of the
residencies, we were able to produce hours of finished work, as if there
were always dialogs organically growing among us and the machinery, which
had a life of its own.

I remember beavers, Foofwa dancing on the railing of a pier overlooking a
frozen pond, recording ballet and movie musical dancing on the street in
front of the loft at 3 a.m. in the morning.

It was perfect. I took that experience later to the work I did at the
Virtual Environments Laboratory (VEL) at West Virginia University,
Morgantown, and more recently to working with motion capture
experimentation at New Jersey Institute of Technology, NYU, Columbia
College (Chicago), and elsewhere. A certain grace and camaraderie with
machines, bodies, intermixtures of analog and digital apparatus. And I
work through this even now.

ETC was seminal!"

    NIKUKO with Azure Carter and Foofwa dImobilite (YouTube)

121 views  Sep 13, 2017
Foofwa d'Imobilite, Azure Carter, Alan Sondheim, Experimental Television
Center, ballet, abjection

__