James
reading 'the accident of art' by Paul Virilio is a provocative read, most certainly.
My most immediate attention was on the idea of focus itself.
Taking Paolo Uccello he described the content of the work, 'The Battle of San Romano', as being the artists use of perspective. He was a mathematician and painter who in presenting a multi dimensional view of the world, saw an expression of this view as a reason for the work, coming as it did, from both an inner compulsion and an organising and belief system originating from himself. Virilio then questioned whether the net-artist, in their collage construction of varied uses of software, not invented by the artists themselves, was in fact a genuine thoughtful creative process that could be considered authentic. Is he right or wrong in this? I think you said that the artist could produce his own software? I think there is an interesting intelligence in the conversations of the book and one we should perhaps all venture into because of its provocative nature.
regards
ken