Hi,

Please find attached my answers to the computer questionnaire.

Is this the right place to send them?

I've tried to be as thorough as possible, but have not answered all the
questions. Some of the questions made small sense, and others I simply
did not understand.

Cheers,
james

_______________________
When my fingers touch the keys I think about... Hmmm tricky. I think about...
Right now I am thinking about what I think about when my fingers touch the
keys, and what to say about it. I feel it's a tricky one to answer. I shall say
no more about this.

My terminal, or console, when I use it, is a colour display, mainly white on
black lettering, but to be honest I rarely use the console. I now use the X
window system, and when I login to my user account, my system automatically
opens an Xterm for me, ready, prepared with the correct display font, loads my
BASH profile, and is sitting there happy, waiting for my commands.

I have no idea if my screen is passive or active but I can tell you that it is
certainly a CRT display.

What kind of a question is "How much do you keep in RAM". It is a silly
question. It is not up to me how much is 'kept' in RAM. RAM is volatile,
nothing is kept there after power-off, so it is a stupid question.

I never run programs from floppies. What year do you think this is? Floppies
are horrid creations, completely error prone and notoriously unreliable as
storage devices. Not only that, but their meagre capacity is... meagre.

Sometimes if I use my PC for extended periods and it has been known for it to
remain on for over 28 hours, which considering I do not run it as a server, is
quite impressive I'd say... In these circumstances, yes, the temperature in my
room does increase, but mainly due to the 19" CRT monitor I use.

The communications programs I use are on the family PC which does not run
Linux, but operates within Microsoft Windows XP. My pc-illiterate family use
the AOL software - a horrid monolithic bulk of shite IMHO. I personally prefer
to use the aoldialer application to connect to the net and from then onwards
use Firefox, or occasionally Opera.

Due to a lack of suitable alternatives to using AOL dialup to connect to the
'Net, and I promise I have tried and tried to find them, there is no working
possibility for me to connect to the AOL dialup serivce from within Linux.

I also use PuTty from within Windows XP to connect to my website server and
login via a SecureSHell prompt. Occasionally I might also use this program to
connect to sourceforge.net too. One other program I use is FileZilla, a
splendid FTP client.

All my email is web-based, so I do not use any email programs to collect my
email. I could do so however, but AOL does not to the best of my knowledge
allow me to use their service to send my email from a non AOL account. I might
be wrong, or it might only apply to us lower-life-forms who continue to use
dial-up (although in my case it is not out of choice)... I have not thoroughly
looked into it.

None of these communications programs came with the computer, and all are
legal. The AOL software is provided free of charge by AOL. Putty, FileZilla,
and Firefox are Open Source Software and consequently are free (as in Freedom)
to distribute and modify, etc, etc...

(So many questions to answer...)

My face is perhaps a little over one foot away from the (fairly) flat 19" CRT
monitor. The keyboard is standard sized, with 74 keys I believe. It is a Compaq
keyboard, showing battle scares, chunks missing from the keys, scrapings across
keys. My computer is unbranded. My monitor is a Dell.

The CPU I have replaced with an AMD Athlon 3000 XP CPU. What speed... Would you
like that in BogoMips? I can't recall off-hand, sorry.

I have a 3 button mouse. The middle button is also a wheel which enables
scrolling of long pages within certain applications (or the switching of
desktops, etc). The mouse has been castrated ;-) (it is an optical mouse) But
it does have a very long tail which plugs into a USB port at the back of my PC.

I'm unsure of the server architecture that my website is hosted on, but I can
tell you it runs Debian GNU/Linux... It is LAMP sollution.

It has been... I don't know, maybe ten years since I used MS-DOS proper (before
it was bastardized).

My own personal computer has four hard drives. Three are SCSI and one is EIDE.
The EIDE drive has a greater capacity than the three SCSI drives combined. None
of the drives are partitioned for Windows/DOS/whatever. My two main drives,
(the EIDE and the fastest SCSI drive) are partitioned into atleast two
partitions each. All the partitions I use on this computer are Linux
partitions. With the exception of the /boot partition which is Ext2, they are
all formatted to use the Linux Ext3 journalling file system (except of course
the Swap partition).

I have added no additional periphials to increase my memory. I do have a 512mb
USB-2.0 titanium memory stick, and a recently purchased USB-2.0 memory card
reader because my digital camera refuses to be recognised by any computer at
all.

I also have an M-Audio Delta 66 sound card. It can use 96khz sampling rates
with 24bit sound. It may not have surround sound and any swishy features to
attract idiots, but it is fast enough for usage by demanding real-time audio
recording/playback applications.

My monitor runs in interlaced mode... I'm unsure... It's a little flickery at
60hz because I use a 1600 x 1200 display resolution.

My sound card either plugs in directly to my Cambridge Audio HiFi system (ie
the amplifier component... with Mordant Shortz speakers... I hate PC specific
speaker systems), or I plug in my Sennheiser HD 200 over-ear headphones.

I do most of my text editing (programming, script-writing, or just plain text
writing) using NEdit. NEdit is an easy to use programmers editor. It is GUI
based, features syntax highlighting for numerous languages, and shows
whitespace and line numbers and many other useful features for programmers.

When I login via SSH to jwm-art.net or sourceforge.net, I am restricted in my
choice of text editor and so use Pico.

My own personal computer and the family computer are both Towers.

Maths coprocessors are generally unheard of these days AFAIK.

My monitor is SVGA ??? Or is SVGA dead and buried now??? Who Knows??? Ahhh, do
you remember VESA Local Bus :) Those were the days.

My computer's serial ports are all disabled in the BIOS, as are the parallel
ports. I use command line, the Bourne Again SHell (BASH) within XTerm, part of
X, in Linux, but very very rarely do I use the DOS-prompt in Windows.

I have an internal 56k modem, it is shit.

I have a single floppy drive. I think I disconnected it, and it is certainly
disabled within the BIOS.

No voice recognition system - a complete waste of time AFAIAC.

No printer on this Linux. A combined printer/photocopier for the family PC.

I'm not sure if I ever get eyestrain. What does it feel like?

Sometimes I get shoulder and neck pain, yes, how did you know?