It was not the subject of pandemics which interested me so much as how
vulnerable society is because of "tightly-coupled" networks and
supply-chains. The other article "Why the demise of civilisation may be
inevitable" talks about this. Take for example, milk: the cows are
still producing it, the lorries are still transporting it (in bulk) but
the cartons which it is placed in for us little consumers to buy, are
made in a third-world factory where energy has run out, not only for the
factory but the shipment too. It sounds like a terrorists wet dream to
me.