On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 2:45 PM, marc garrett
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The root of the change that Linden Lab is facing is the open-source
> OpenSimulator project. Working with the protocols derived from the
> official Second Life client, and a knowledge of how Second Life works,
> these people have implemented their own compatible server code: you can
> use a Second Life client to log on to an OpenSim server. Beyond that,
> anyone can run their own server.

I got OpenSim running. It's very easy to set up and works really well.
Despite being C#. The Wiki explains how to do it on Windows, MacOS and
GNU/Linux. It takes about five minutes.

Linden Labs don't have much to worry about. They have the lead in
experience of running a grid (a collection of Second Life servers),
the lead in experience of working with communities and corporates,
experience of managing an in-game economy, and they have ownership of
the brand.

They have a massive advantage over new entrants, and Free alternatives
will simply make investing in SL less of a risk (if you can move stuff
off the SL grid if Linden Labs goes bankrupt then it's safer to give
them the money that will prevent them going bankrupt). The more grids
there are, the more likely people are to go to the main grid. Everyone
else will be playing catch-up while boosting the value of Linden's
investment.

The main thing the Lindens need to do is ignore shrill IP maximalists
like Prokofy Neva. That's far more of an "open source challenge".

I'd rather there was a resurrection of VRML and a more distributed
http-server based metaverse, but OpenSim is the next best thing.

- Rob.