last words on this...

i think there is an interesting point being made about whether one is excluding
an audience that they might otherwise want to reach - particularly with works
that speak of democratic values. however, it remains that complex thoughts many
times require complex language and what is complex to some is simple to others.
simple thoughts only need simple language. the insistence by some that the
language is meaningless or ought not be used at all is silly. maybe there are
some who write words for the sake of sounding smart, but i think most of us
gave that up in the 5th. grade. also, we have to look at context. the writing
was pretty standard academic language and i assume that it was meant to be read
by a group that is familiar with this language (i think many on the list are).
it's not being written for a 5th. grade class.

it has always perplexed me that when it comes to art many people think that
there should not be complexity to the language associated with it.
specialization of language (like all kinds of specialization) has its problems
to be sure, but nearly all professions have a particular and quite complex
language that is not accessible to those uninvolved with the practice. i had a
plumber come over the other day to fix the toilet and i couldn't understand
what he was talking about. i'm not about to tell him that he is being
pretentious - it's my ignorance NOT his. why not just ask him to clarify for
YOU rather than criticize him for using the proper terms.

i come across this all the time with students. if you give an essay to read
there will always be some that say it's stupid and the author is just trying to
look smart by using big words and long sentences. The fact is they are not
TRYING to look smart - they ARE smart. When one looks at other disciplines it's
easy to see. Pick up a medical journal and see how far you get before your eyes
glaze over. Would we insist that researchers and doctors abandon the proper
names for things to make their language more readable to those who are
untrained and illiterate in their disciplines.