I was a little surprised to encounter somebody who could state, with a
straight face, that they appreciate those who seek truth. I therefore
queried what they meant by truth. Truth is a highly contentious term. Many
would agree that there is no single truth in respect of any particular
issue, there being a truth pertinent to each point of view. Others would
argue that as truth is an absolute term it is meaningless in such
relativised discourse. Some might use the word naively, actually meaning
they believe there is an absolute truth. I was therefore confused at to
whether the term was being used sarcastically, by somebody who is aware of
these debates, or naively by, somebody who isnĀ¹t. That is why I asked if
they were joking...

Perhaps I missed something?

Regards

Simon

On 18/2/09 13:57, "Rob Myers" <r...@robmyers.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 1:50 PM, Simon Biggs <s.bi...@eca.ac.uk> wrote:
>> > My ill-considered knee-jerk reaction to this statement is to ask which
>> > truth? I seriously hope you are joking...
>
> I don't understand what you are saying here?

Simon Biggs
Research Professor
edinburgh college of art
s.bi...@eca.ac.uk
www.eca.ac.uk
www.eca.ac.uk/circle/

si...@littlepig.org.uk
www.littlepig.org.uk
AIM/Skype: simonbiggsuk

Edinburgh College of Art (eca) is a charity registered in Scotland, number
SC009201