Berners-Lee says no to internet 'snooping'.

By Tom Espiner.

The inventor of the World Wide Web, Sir Tim Berners-Lee, has attacked
deep packet inspection, a technique used to monitor traffic on the
internet and other communications networks.

Speaking at a House of Lords event on the 20th anniversary of the
invention of the World Wide Web, Berners-Lee said that deep packet
inspection (DPI) was the electronic equivalent of opening people's mail.

"This is very important to me, as what is at stake is the integrity of
the internet as a communications medium," Berners-Lee said on Wednesday.
"Clearly we must not interfere with the internet, and we must not snoop
on the internet. If we snoop on clicks and data, we can find out a lot
more information about people than if we listen to their conversations."

DPI involves examining both the data and the header of an information
packet as it passes a 'black box' on a network, in order to reveal the
content of the communication. Targeted advertising services, such as
Phorm in the UK, use DPI to monitor anonymised user behaviour and to
target adverts at those users. In addition, UK government initiatives
such as the Intercept Modernisation Programme have proposed using DPI to
perform mass surveillance of the web comunications of the entire UK
population.

more...
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000189,39625971,00.htm