great - i would also be interested to hear more about rich networking.

i've been involved in theatre or computing events (specifically thru
magdalena & eclectic tech carnival networks) where we have attempted to
onvolve remote participants via internet, or to connect & interact with
simultaneous similar events. it's only been partially successful because
people inevitably get caught up in the proximal reality & lose the
motivation to maintain a split focus. unless there is someone at each
venue who is prepared to be dedicated to the online communication, it is
hard to maintain. i don't mind so much when i'm the remote person,
because i just multitask until someone or something comes alive via
whatever means we're using (irc, web cam, skype, UpStage, etherpad,
blogs, etc). but i know that for people who are less used to it can get
frustrated &/or bored because they feel neglected.

but i think it's just a matter of learning the processes that can
facilitate it. in august i'll be at a theatre festival in denmark, &
some people who won't be there have already asked me if i can facilitate
an online link for them. i know that this festival is full-on, i'll be
run off my feet, & staying up talking until 1am & getting up at 6am in
order to have a shower & breakfast before the work starts. i know
there's good internet there & i'll have my laptop & web cam, but i don't
know about sound - is it worth web casting a discussion if the sound
isn't audible? (i won't even try to web cast the performances).  i've
asked the people who want it to be very specific about which events they
want to be web cast, then i'll see whether it's doable, & if so i'll
focus on one or two events rather than spend half the festival trying to
web cast it.

every time we get a little bit better at it ...

h : )

> Hope we get to be one of your venues exploring both local, physical
> presence and network facilitated interaction. Let me know and I'll
> send you a copy of our draft plans for Rich Networking.
>
> cheers
> Ruth
>
> http://furtherfield.org

helen varley jamieson: creative catalyst
he...@creative-catalyst.com
http://www.creative-catalyst.com
http://www.avatarbodycollision.org
http://www.upstage.org.nz