AMBER'09, ARTS AND TECHNOLOGY FESTIVAL ISTANBUL

Living in a technologically-mediated environment causes changes and
shifts in human habits, postures and behaviors. Technologies have an
impact on our perceptions; each new technology demands new practices
of body and speech as well as a new comprehension of time and space.

The notion of the cyborg (cybernetic organism) explores the literal
and figurative integrations of the human body and technology. A hybrid
concept, cyborg links the organic and non-organic and raises questions
concerning human corporeality and subjectivity. In the same vein, the
field of Art and Technology also elaborates on the transforming and
emerging human and addresses the questions of who or what we may
become as a result of our increasing engagements with technology.

Based on the recent technological developments and their incorporation
in the social, cultural, and political domains, amber’09 explores the
consequences of exposing and augmenting our bodies with digital
technologies. It aims to elaborate on the body and its relationships
in the social and cultural domains, the asymmetrical structures and
practices inherent to contemporary societies and the possibilities to
break these asymmetries in order to achieve a free and equal society.

Re-visiting and re-thinking the notion of the cyborg, amber’09 asks:
Are you (un)Cyborgable?

Deadline: 1st of August
http://www.a-m-b-e-r.net/index_en_09.html

--