Last time I was in Barcelona I found the Plaza del Macba invaded by
recycled furniture. I quickly found out it was a project by a group
called MAKEA. Makea takes the name from super giant furniture producer
IKEA and twists it into a Spanish word which is slang for
embellishing, making beautiful, customizing.

This time they had filled the square - which is usually a meeting
point for skaters and in general young people - with furniture on
wheels. Chairs on wheels, tables on wheels, agglomerates of different
objects on wheels. The space had been turned into an amusement park:
http://makeatuvida.blogspot.com/2009/03/bcn-sobre-ruedas.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Capf7xdmAkU&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmakeatuvida.blogspot.com%2F2009%2F03%2Fbcn-sobre-ruedas.html&feature=player_embedded

I thought it was a brilliant project! Unfortunately both their blog
and website are in Spanish, but still worth checking it out for the
pictures and videos: http://www.makeatuvida.net/

They also have a recipe book in which they gather the most creative
ideas of recycled objects turned into a piece of furniture. See:
http://www.el-recetario.net/

--
Olga
http://www.ungravitational.net