Hi Folks,

Thanks to everyone that took part on Friday. We had a great time and got
lots of work done.

Below is a short summary of the main themes that we discussed over 3
hours.
For the full story you can go and check out a recording of the webcast.
http://tinyurl.com/y8q93gt

A detailed exhibition plan will follow shortly.

cheers
Ruth and the Furtherfield crew

Co-curation event for DIWO at the Dark Mountain
27th November 2009, HTTP Gallery

A Summary of the Main Themes Discussed

The absence of substantial physical work in the gallery
Postal strikes mean that some of the work sent by snail mail have not
turned up.
Discussed how as infrastructure become more unreliable, it also becomes
more visible. How can we represent the works that didn't turn up
( Missing In Action) in the exhibition?

Politics and Discussions of Art as Argument
A central question for the project as a whole – to explore collective
agency as individuals, groups, institutions in a time of environmental
crisis. However the agency of artists is indirect. Dougald (Dark
Mountain Guide) proposed to script the initial  heated discussions that
occurred in the early stages of the project for a performance at the
opening.

How the Uncivilised Manifesto provoked discussions about countryside vs
town/industry : metropolitan vs. rural

Complexity and Divergence arise from Doing it With Others
Bringing together the network, artists/programmers/writers within an
email list and complex manifesto, opens things up, reveals and generates
questions without necessarily answering any of them. Conversations
within the email list would have played out differently if they had
happened face to face. We all struggled with the limitations imposed by
the narrow bandwidth of the format. Not about conclusion: the exhibition
will open up conversations and space. This is an experiment.

Stories vs. infrastructure Shifting from literary to media art contexts
In the first DIWO project, as well as remix content and stories,
participants tended to 'perform' the list and the Internet, connecting
to online software, writing programmes and software to revisualise
peoples exchanges, conveying meaning through the exchange format itself,
(and so remoulding the infrastructure as they did so). But whilst there
is agreement on the importance of re-engaging with our own stories- “a
lot of our stories have been stolen” by dominant consumer and celebrity
cultures and mediation- with a few exceptions, most of the stories in
DIWO at the Dark Mountain appear to emerge around the work rather than
in the work itself.  Ecologies of stories interweaving  different
levels, historical, social, personal, those fed to us by the media
etc ... and their impacts.

Recording of the Webcast of the event here http://tinyurl.com/y8q93gt