The Cartoonist Manifesto:
Performance Art for the Fin de Millennium.
Written - Patrick Lichty

For the past three or four years, there have been a number of artists,
interveners, performers, (or whatever you want to call them), who are
performing in virtual worlds.  Second Life, World of Warcraft, Active Worlds,
OpenSim – all these places are merely meaningless names that stand for the fact
that there is a portion of the world that is embracing a “New Flesh” of pixels
and nothingness.  There are communities of “bodies without organs” writhing in
a Tron-like fog of shapes and colors in imaginary spaces.  But still, here we
are – revisiting performance art, Happenings, interventions and the like,
dragging the shadows of Dada, the Surrealists, Fluxus, the Situationists,
Abramovic, Anderson, Barney, Burden, Export, Gilbert and George, Wiebel, and
all the rest into the Virtual on our backs.  It is again, like the seminal
scene of Tron, where the hacker Flynn's flesh is ripped apart by the laser of
virtualization and pulled into the computer world, upgraded with new, luminous
bodies.

But wait!  Wasn't performance art supposed to be the last bastion of
authenticity in art?  Wasn't the viscera supposed to be the final resting place
of immediacy and affect?  This is probably the truth. But with the coming of
the 21st Century, it's obvious that humanity has become cynical about its own
flesh; the body has become desensitized to its own suffering; simulations truly
have supplanted the physical, whether in the form of games, virtual worlds, or
CNN.  As Marina Abramovic herself has said, the shift from the body to the
avatar reduces performance to the gesture of the Cartoon, and she wished she
had thought of it first... And rightly so!  That is exactly what we are; As
Nitsch, Weibel, Export et al were Actionists, perhaps we are “Lack of”
Actionists, or Cartoonists!

We are:
Cartoons for those who hate cartoons.
Performance art for a post-embodied era.
Visceral art after the discard of the body.
Endurance for the mouse-enabled.

What exactly is this, then?  It is Bugs Bunny shooting Daffy Duck, reenacting
Burden's “Shoot”, Betty Boop submitting herself to Yoko Ono's “Cut Piece”, or
Olive Oyl standing fiercely with the Red Star cut into her belly as in
Abramovic' “Lips of Thomas”.  It is Mickey Mouse holding the skull of Yorick,
pondering his existential state.  It is the cat and mouse, Itchy  and Scratchy,
eviscerating one another, whacking each other with mallets, holding you
accountable for your gaze.  It is the culmination of a society that has become
exhausted with itself, with its own cruelty, with its own desensitization; an
ironic stance armed with the arrow of its own cynicism, bow taut, aimed at its
own heart.

This is the point of Cartoon Performance, though.  Is this to say that the
virtual gesture is abject of meaning, of affect?  No.  As children cry when
playing with dolls, boo the amoral Punchinello at puppet shows, laugh at Donald
Duck's fits of rage, we identify with the avatar; the reality of the simulated
body.  While we know that regardless of how many times Daffy gets shot in the
arm, there is still the residual connection to the blood and sinew that creates
the momentary flinch before the pull of the trigger before the flash of the
barrel and the crack of bone.  There is still the question of whether to face
the nude Eva or Franco Mattes avatar when passing through the door, the urge to
run when the fourteen Gaziras rush at you with the giant wooden mallets, or the
vertigo of virtual Ciccciolina atop the simulated Empire State Building in the
grasp of the digital Kong.  The immediacy of the flesh is gone; but the
feeling still remains.

We are Cartoons, and we bleed, scream, fuck, laugh and sing.

Or at least we remind you what that was like.

Patrick Lichty, 2010

Signatories:
Patrick Lichty
Gazira Babeli