Executables

http://www.alansondheim.org/exe/ - all the files are .exe, executable.
They were made in 2003. One or more will 'stick' to the desktop until
rebooting. None of them have viruses, worms, etc. They're all self-
contained. Some of the images have to be double- or single-clicked on to
start the processes. Some of the processes end by themselves; some just
continue; some of the images themselves differ with each click; some of
the images change with repeated clicking; and so forth. The pieces are
concerned with - maybe 'deal with' - issues of the gaze, language,
reading, sexuality, body, corruption, decay, control, deconstruction,
eroticism. I'm leaving the them up for a while only - if you want them,
download them now. After a while, some of the pieces will move to another
site, and some of the more risque will simply be taken down. The programs
that created these, by the way, were deleted; I wanted the executables to
behave as independent autonomous objects with relatively impermeable
interiors. I don't remember myself how they were made. They were created
with Visual Basic 6, in a flurry of activity over a period of weeks. I've
never been able to take the surface of an image for granted; these pieces
are the result of that failure.