frustration with shield-backed katydids

what is this? apologies for poor quality/repetition; the color's accurate,
size around 75 mm. found near dusk in a field in west jordan, utah. it's
definitely a shield-backed katydid, but isn't in any of the online id
sites that we've seen (as well as helfer's how to know the grasshoppers,
crickets, cockroaches and their allies). full-grown fairly docile male.
(not a mormon cricket by the way, not even here.)

http://www.alansondheim.org/sbkatydid1.jpg
http://www.alansondheim.org/sbkatydid2.jpg
http://www.alansondheim.org/sbkatydid3.jpg
http://www.alansondheim.org/sbkatydid4.jpg

(in west jordan, development is rampant, filling the valley. almost all
the birds have disappeared, including merlin and even starlings. we've
seen a few killdeer and robins, that's all. the bits of grassland left are
repeatedly tilled. the order of the day is green lawns and home owners'
associations - wasteland for the local flora and fauna. there's only one
park, heavily disturbed, in the area - no foxes, rabbits, and so forth,
which were present a few years ago. still, there are mantids, beetles,
wasps, and at least two bee species left in the grassland. development
continues to render the west close to uninhabitable; the human communities
are sterile, water-hungry, and plastic. the result is the butchering and
disappearance of local ecosystems, which, in the valley, might have been
unique.)