Ben Davis Sez Art Criticism Isn’t Dead, Just Maimed.

‘Tis only a flesh wound! Newly-crowned Artinfo deputy editor Ben Davis
(né Artnet) posts a rant about the State of Art Criticism, pointing out
that even though serious criticism may look dead, it’s actually just
become increasingly eclipsed by the more hit-friendly version of art
writing he deems “art news.” Davis conflates this new world of web-based
art criticism with a drop in quality, but I think serious criticism is
actually more relevant now than ever. While we may not have journals
full of October-style criticism, we do have an engaged community of
artists, curators, reporters and critics who all contribute to a group
dialogue that is a composite of so-called art criticism and art news.

more...
http://hyperallergic.com/16113/art-criticism-dead/