The Mathematics of Lawn Mowing.

"The grass is long, and guess whose job it is to cut it? Confronted with
this tedious chore, a Maths Master has only one possible course of
action: he must immediately retire to his office, to determine the
mathematically best way to mow the lawn.

Clearly what is optimal for a lazy Maths Master is to push the lawnmower
the shortest distance possible. So, he wants to avoid mowing twice over
the same patch of lawn. Let’s see what he might have to consider.

As we push the mower, its circular slashing disc cuts a swath through
the grass. If we travel in a straight path, then the cleared region will
be a corresponding thick line."

http://education.theage.com.au/cmspage.php?intid=147&intversion=76