In regards to the post suggesting that the technoliterate should know how to
programming, I say absolutely yes, and absolutely not.

Absolutely yes to the idea of ubiquitous computational literacy in that if we
are to know the master's tools, then yes.  Program.  It's good to get under the
hood and be able to muck with the innards, but I personally think that knowing
a little code is good for little else than being able to play with the
computer/network on the sub-application level and gaining personal insights
about the platform you're on.  But if you think that knowing a little Python is
going to free you from the cessation of power to the cyberoligarchy, I think
that's optimistic.  The masters largely have us lock and key, and they
generally won't let you do anything they don't want you to.

My rejoinder to Ruth is to say that I say that if you're going to program as a
site of resistance, then get to the point where you can at least hack a LITTLE.
 Go over the line.  Get behind the wall.  This is no small task, though except
for getting involved with "script kiddies", etc.  Absolutely yes. but HACK,
motherfucker, HACK.  Get in there, be an agent o information, chaos, whatever,
but take agency if you are going to program beyond experimenterism.

Absoltely not in terms of saying that everyone should program is saying that
this is the ultimate capitulation to technocapitals' agendas of control.
Digital culture has become about technocapital's agendas of control, and to
coopt and track everything it inhabits, including every second of our time.
There is nothing more that the Powers would like is to see us connected 24/7 on
increasingly more channels, and placing universal emphasis on programming means
that it is another step towards being woven even tighter into the Temple
Grandin-eque hugging abattoir machine that is pervasive computing, or the
precursor to The Matrix itself.

Spending more time on the computer deluding ourselves that we will somehow  be
empowered if we know some code (but I'm also taking the position that this
might actually be possible, but I digress) separates us from the source of real
power, and that is the foot.  What we are seeing in the US with the Occupy
movement is perhaps not as sexy as Wikileaks, but hopefully illustrates that
the true power is with people, in the street.

But then, the "Arab Spring" as they  call it in the US, might show a third
object, which I might cal Augmentarianism.  What I am getting at is that people
like those in Egypt, Tunisia, and even Assange and Anonymous augment and
leverage flesh and soul power to use computation, as Engelbart and Fein might
have thought as "cognitive amplifiers".  The use of social media allowed
amplification of mass will to lens real power in the agora.  To code is not to
amplify the will to power or the will to subvert hegemony, but the ability to
deftly manipulate tools such as code, social media in concert with flesh,
brick, mortar, and soul is perhaps the way we can empower ourselves.

However, I feel that universal programming is very against my contention that
we have to be able to be aloof to the Matrix (don't have to be on), but this is
another matter entirely.