>From my post to the Reality Augmented Blog:

Curating the Quantitative Life
The 1%, The Ambitious Middle-Class, and The Curatorial Politics of the New
Aesthetic

This week (that is, the week of October 26, 2012) I heard a fantastic
conversation about the ecosystem of galleries, curators and artists in the
Chicago area on the local NPR station.  They laid out the sociocultural terrain
so well that I had a moment of clarity, and it is that instant that I want to
share with you. And yes, it also has to do with my thoughts about the New
Aesthetic.  For context, as an independent curator, I had a tactical position
that I would curate the shows that the mainstream institutions either did not
understand or did not want to support, thus gaining the foreground.  The result
of this was, in essence, a “pop-up” gallery, which is a prevalent form of
curation in Chicago and many cities with extra storefront space. Therefore,
what we have in Chicago now are a plethora of pop-ups, apartment galleries and
the like that you can’t turn around without finding a new curatorial project or
another.

The effect of this is to flatten the art world considerably – everyone’s a
curator, gallerist or something.  While Jerry Saltz once said on his Facebook
page that this is one of the best things to ever happened to art, it has raised
the bar on competition to new levels.  What this shows is that as Jer Thorpe
(visualization artist for WIRED and the NYT) recently said is that almost any
interaction or consumption from donuts to cell phone usage can be placed in a
“power curve”.  This is a logarithmic curve that begins near infinity at the
beginning and stretches out into what Chris Anderson has called “The Long
Tail”.  Bascially, there are people who talk and text 80 hours a week, and
there are people who only text once or twice a week, and the distribution of
usage translates into this curve.

But considering that the effect of the “new curation”, is the art world
actually flatter?  Yes, because the flatness is only perceptual when you are
out on the tail of the curve where the mass of “curatorial life” resides, with
the tumblrs, YouTube lists, and so on.  With things like tumblr, Pinterest, et
al, we live a curated life.  However, my theory of the flattening of the art
world comes when you mirror the power curve/Long Tail into a asymptotic sort of
spiked pyramid that shows a mass quantum noise of every day curation, the mass
of pop-ups and residential spaces, web sites, etc., up the chain, a
winnowed-down group of “middle-class” influential curators/galleries, and the
“spike” of hyper-elite curators, artists, and designers, like Jeffrey Deitch,
Hans Ulrich Obrist, Zaha Hadid, Anish Kapoor, Rem Koolhaas – you get the idea.
What this is essentially a concentration of cultural capital into the upper 1%
while the pyramid of fame/success is sagged down to accommodate the Long Tail.

So, what I am saying is that in the cultural era of the Long Tail, a few are
concentrated into the Straylight-like crèche of capital, where the other 98%
percent of the cultural world are forced to entrepreneurism, or to cultural
production “for its own sake”, often scrambling from month to month between
practicing one’s work and the day job down at the health club.  Or, taking it
to a more extreme level, we could also say that Pinterest curated image boards
are becoming curatorial quantum noise, as we swim in a sea of digital chaff.
If I were to go to the end of the Tail, we would go to 4chan.org, and since
Rule 34 takes effect there in that anything on the Net shall have porn made
about it, we don’t need to go there.
So, to summarize; 2012’s style of curation seems to reflect the financial
paradigm – a couple percent with concentrated capital, a steep curve of
established curators and producers, and then a widening saddle of aspiring
producers, such as residential and pop-up galleries, widening out into a
“culture of the everyday”, of massive free production which is gleaned by the
social media companies as its content and curated by the masses for the effect
of their own personal friend-niches.

This is the cultural model of Big Data as expressed in the art world and the
curated life.

So what does this have to do with the New Aesthetic? Big Data assumes that in
many cases that the power curve (the asymptotic curve generated by the Long
Tail) is in effect in regards to relevance to a given question or correlation.
Huh? That means that for a massive data set, only a small amount of it is
really relevant to our purposes, a little more is close to what we’re looking
for, and the rest steeply falls off into a sea of quantitative chaff.  Or
qualitative; take your pick.

OK. New Aesthetic.

NA is largely about gleaning interesting images from Big Data, as algorithms
and robot eyes spew out images by rates as high as 30 frames per second in some
cases, which makes images akin to grains of sand on the aesthetic beach.  But
the New Aestheticist strides upon that beach, picking out a sparkly grain of
sand or even the occasional diamond, ready-cut, and places it in their bucket
(Tumblr, Pinterest) to show to other people on the beach.  Pay attention that
there are a lot of people on this beach, and it is a very large beach- that’s
why they call it Big Data.  Lots of data; lots of sand.
The thing that I see as problematic yet historically relevant to NA as
curatorial model is that it there is not much agency involved beyond the human
glean from visual Big Data.  It is a cross between banal
Pinterest/Flickr/Tumblr posting and Duchampian readymade; a gesture of curating
the Quantitative Life. If one thinks about it, it appears that the biggest
difference between NA curating and screen scraping or pattern recognition is
that of human agency in terms of aesthetic picking rather than algorithmic
selection. This becomes an issue, as it creates a parallel power curve in terms
of human versus machine terms of the qualitative.

Before splitting curves, let us describe the stratum of curatorial space that I
see NA occupying.  Remember to consider the asymptotic curve of Anderson’s Long
Tail, and consider it as one of investment vs. population (or amount of data.
At the uppermost, narrow end of the spike, we have a small amount of data, a
huge amount of influence and money, flaring into the middle class, all of which
equates from the top curators and major museums to the top galleries down into
the regional art centers and mid-grade galleries.  The next major break that
appears evident is the ‘emerging’ scene, with the pop-up and young galleries,
and some independent curating, as well as genre shows and higher end art blogs
at the upper end.  Where the power curve begins to truly flare out is in terms
of self- or social curation, beginning with the Pinterests, Tumblrs, and Flickr
pages.

As a note, keep that last sentence in mind.

Then comes the flood.  Curation (sic) in the age of social media must be made
to include the posting of photos and videos to social media, with the gesture,
constituting the greatest number with the least investment (the function of the
Long Tail’s power curve – # involved vs. degree of investiture).  By that
point, curation becomes Massive Data, not just Big, and we are awash, not in a
sea of kitsch, but a sea of everything, with only currents of trend to give any
direction.   This lower stratum from the pin board to the Like is the beach to
which I allude earlier, with New Aestheticists doing slightly more than Liking
an image by taking the time to find it and put it on their Tumblr, hoping for a
Like.  And in a way, as the game Foldit allowed human beings to find a protein
folding solution in far less time than it takes an algorithm, so does the New
Aestheticist find an ‘image of interest’ faster than a parametric equation.  It
makes us feel special to categorize galaxies in a crowdsourced application, is
picking images of interest in the NA exercise much different?  In some ways, I
feel like it is akin to 4chan-style image boards, just more intellectual.  But
with the rise of art-based Internet Surfing Clubs like NastyNets and Double
Happiness in the 2000’s, the aggregation of images of interest have become a
function of quantum-level curatorial practice at the base of the saddle of the
Long Tail.

In addition, other effects come into play such as similarities to arousal
addiction to Internet pornography.  The prime motivator for dopamine release in
net.porn is novelty, based on things such as the “Coolidge Effect”, where time
to climax increases with a single partner, while it stays low for varied
partners.  So it is with the NA; near-infinite seas of novel images in numerous
genres.  Is it possible to say that New Aestheticists as becoming addicted to
Robot Eye Porn?  According to Gary Wilson, the end result to hypofrontal
burnout based on Internet usage, with turning away being the ‘climax’ of
net.scopophilia.  Perhaps this is a bit ‘over-blown’ to compare the two, but in
my opinion, it is a matter of scale on the power curve of intensity vs.
investiture.

The point of all this is that it asks what the degree that NA as curatorial
practice exerts in being a function of cultural production.  Somehow, I don’t
feel like I’m going to see the famous Google Earth RGB artifacted airplane
blown up to wall size in the MoMA.  But, on the other hand, we are awash in the
generation of images and posting them for a moment of approval, shooting the
aesthetic blunderbuss, hoping a pellet/image sticks here and there.  This
creates tremendous ambivalence, as the ‘potential’ effortlessness of NA
practices conveys a certain pointlessness except a certain fascination with the
found machine/algorithm-made object/image.  However, we can see the emergence
of image boards, and the aggregation from them as art practice, and it has led
us here, but perhaps NA is a form of curation for the masses, a folk curatorial
practice for cyborg times.