On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 11:01:13 +1100, mez breeze wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 10:34 AM, Rob Myers  wrote:
>
>> There are so many, and some of them are really funny. Watching
>> memes
>> spread still fascinates me.
>
> Agreed. Funny how the idea of meme culture is still very much
> relegated into a lo-brow category [or auto-deemed lesser by the
> creation-via-the-greater-unwashed-digital-public
> association/implication alone] by a category of "serious"
> artists-and/or-theorists [ie those still keen to perpetuate such
> compartmentalised divisions in order to gate-keep their
> practice>process>value].

Yes. This is frustrating, as it's that "everyone is an artist" thing
people used to talk about.

Eventally some gallery-represented hipster will dumbly appropriate meme
culture and the sighs of relief will be audible.

> As I've said previously: "...when theorists actually realise
> 4chan/enc_dramatica r the 21st C equiv of Situational
> Internationalists, they'll crap all ova themselves...(@netwurker's
> status on Wednesday, 08-Jul-09 21:11:15 UTC)".

The problem will be reducing the messy and complex history of 4chan to
one or two "leaders" suitable for a simple and market friendly
narrative. Punks and net artists have had to put up with this, but they
don't tend to DDOS the servers of people they don't like...

- Rob.