Sweet Garuda

http://lounge.espdisk.com/archives/1217 (best)
http://espdisk.com/alansondheim/sweetgaruda.mp3

Played on the 'Garuda lute,' an otherwise unidentified
instrument most likely from Indonesia. It's fretless;
I have three strings on it (fifth/fourth) and the
melodic work develops as a theme is taken up about
half-way through. Here I am in Providence, proving to
myself I still can play something, in this case on an
unknown instrument. The melody becomes luscious some-
where near the end, and the full range of the lute is
explored. I should add that there is provision for a
fourth string (the lute needed extensive repair), but
due to the delicate nature of the top, I'm using only
three. Enjoy.