HI Annie

your kindness does you credit but I do think there absolutely has to be space
for humour, even sharply parodic or satirical humour in art. If the work is
solid it will survive it.
An interesting question is why MA and not you. I would venture:
(1) You are deeply serious about your work but you don't give off the aroma of
pious smugness which I'm afraid for me MA does.
(2) Although you set up rigorous structures in your work you are open to
surprise, to human frailty and intervention ( indeed I'd argue that it is one
of your central themes) - you *trust* people - MA shuts out the intervention of
others in her Serpentine piece - people have to give up phones, cameras,
whatever at the door. This particular response ( the pug piece) comes as no
surprise to me. I had given some thought to how one might assert the rights of
the audience ( including those of other artists -the right to record, to think
contrary thoguhts and act upon them &c)  vis a vis the Sepentine performance
but couldn't think of anything that either wouldn't involve me getting arrested
or would cost too much.
(3) MA is an art superstar/celebrity. My starting point is that someone in this
extraordinarily unnatural & privileged position has to repeatedly prove that
they are worth it. Ironically the various satirical japes she has engendered
help to confirm her in this role.

cheers
michael