Greetings all. I have been awol for a few days transitioning from the
sanctity of my underground studio bunker in Washington, DC to Singapore
where I teach and am preparing for the upcoming symposium.

During the course of my 21 hour flight I was reading the latest issue of
Adbusters and found an article that resonated with our ongoing discussion of
net behaviors. It also echoed Mez Breeze¹s essay on Internet noise and
trolling: Mechanisms of Exclusion
<http://furtherfield.org/features/articles/mechanisms-of-exclusion> .

The question I ask: with unprecedented freedom of expression, the ability to
post comments on international newspapers, to engage in open dialogue with
vast numbers of people from journalists to politicians, to participate in
various forms of citizen journalism, blogging, social media, etc., are there
limits and dangers to this freedom? Is this freedom in fact an open
invitation to rogue commentators, trolls, underminers, and the like who
hijack the discussion with no more motivation than to pollute the greater
potential of a global dialogue? Or perhaps in some cases disinformation
propagandists targeting political entities.

I leave you with this excerpt from ³The Fieldgude to Virtual Warfare" in
Adbusters to ponder the question. Best, Randall

"If while reading a news item you¹ve been brave enough to venture below the
fold into the vast uncharted darkness of an online comment section, you may
have noticed how vile, offensive and discouraging the experience can be.
This generalized toxicity is due to a number of factors, most of which are
rooted in the unchecked freedom of expression afforded by anonymity. When
certain netizens are permitted to interact with others without having to
reveal their identity or be responsible for their words, they often take
advantage of the situation and say things they wouldn¹t otherwise say."

Netizen 1: I support Politican ³A¹s² policies :) they seem kewl. Lol.
Netizen 2: Politician ³A² is a super-Hitler and you are a feminazi communist
pig-f****r for supporting his progressive jihadist agenda.

"In such cases, Netizen 2 is often labelled a ³troll.² Meaning an internet
user who posts deliberately provocative messages online with the intention
of causing mental distress and/or widespread calamity. But sometimes a troll
isn¹t just a troll but an agent of DEZA (disinformation), which refers to a
particularly unpleasant brand of astroturfing what is aimed at legitimizing
or delegitimizing targeted political or corporate entities.