Thanks a lot Ruth for reacting, here is some of the follow-up - a bit more
concrete :) of my Art Agency "research" (at the end I make a link between
agency art inter and intra )

Hi all readers

Agency Art seems to be a difficult term: too much bad feelings go with the
word (NSA) ; too similar sounding to Art Agency, and so triggers thoughts
about commerce. Still I want to persevere. It's also an empowering word,
referring to Butler, ANT theory and, for me Karen Barad.

Let me try, while forgetting a bit all the theoretical implications, to
describe a few projects, I would like to put under this hat and also
mention some I don't think are part of it.

I consider the following being interesting examples of Agency Art :

* All the work by *Deufert&Plischke;* an artistic duo, who adhere to the
radical notion that *choreography* can build society, not merely illustrate
it. Theatre takes place only insofar as it can be knit together by everyone
– artists and spectators – in the moment of performance. The artistic ego
is erased and the work written collectively. Choreography becomes a social
activity, not determined by aesthetic principles, but by existential and
philosophical concepts such as war and peace, freedom and truth. It unfolds
as a landscape of choice and commitment for all, where the political is
inherent to the act of theatre, and where art is defended as necessary
excess. http://deufertandplischke.net/who-we-are

*Keywords*: collectively, horizontal / refuse hierarchy, a knitting
together of artists and performers in the moment of the performance,
erasure of the artistic ego, community, immediacy, practice

* The latest work by *LaBeouf, Rönkkö & Turner** HEWILLNOTDIVIDE.US
<http://HEWILLNOTDIVIDE.US>*. This is a participatory live-streamed
performance, open to all outside the Museum of the Moving Image in New
York. A mantra "HE WILL NOT DIVIDE US" acts as a show of resistance or
insistence, opposition or optimism, guided by the spirit of each individual
participant and the community. After 21 days the museum abandoned the
project:
http://www.movingimage.us/exhibitions/2017/01/20/detail/hewillnotdivide-us/

*Keywords*: participatory, community, individual, public space, politics

* *Building Conversation* by *Lotte van den Berg;* a director and theatre
maker. In *Building Conversation* she uses collective improvisation to make
joint creations. It's about exploring, together with everybody who wants to
join in, how we talk and how we could talk with each other. Van den Berg
wants the participants to look at conversing and themselves in conversation
in a different way and so make a space in which alternative scenarios for
reality are possible. http://www.buildingconversation.nl/en/

*Keywords*: temporary meeting place, the ordinary, participation, on
location, improvisation, coming together, rehearsing alternatives,
re-hijacking therapy, exercise our relations to others, our social
(in)capacity, explore rituals, being together, practice
- : Some performances seem to be a bit staged.

* The *Deep listening* practice of *Pauline Oliveros* "Deep Listening" fosters
creative innovation across boundaries and across abilities, among artists
and audience, musicians and non-musicians, healers and the physically or
cognitively challenged, and children of all ages. The Roots of the Moment:
https://www.academia.edu/199371/Interactive_Music
*Keywords*: healing, practice, enactment, responding, improvisation,
ritual, including environmental conditions, attentional strategies,
instructions
- : A lot of times the public is a listener only.

* The *Poietic Generator* by *Olivier Auber* is a contemplative social
network game. It allows everybody, all together regardless of his/her
language, culture and educational background, to participate in real time
in the process of self-organization at work in the continuous emergence of
a global picture. http://poietic-generator.net/?page_id=31

making, temporal behavioural phenomena

* *Lingua Ignota* (2009 -?) by *Samantha Gorman*. In this project a poem
was converted back and forth between English and blissymbolics over three
rounds of translation and negotiating consensus by diverse
participants. “Lingua
Ignota is about a collaboratively authored transference of lexical meaning
between language systems.“ I wrote a bit more about this project here
http://e-stranger.tumblr.com/post/156539652196/by-deciphering-the-texts-body-you-become-its

*Keywords*: protocol, apparatus, collaboratively authored
- : the transference is collectively authored, not the project, the
experiment

* *Walking Practices * by *Ienke **kastelein* Ultimately we wish to
practice a way or 'new habit' of walking as a way of being nor outside or
inside but opening a new space across them, and doing so in common (not
just an individual contemplative practice).
http://www.ienkekastelein.nl/index-projecten.html

*Keywords*: participation, changing rules, choices, practice, connecting,
the unexpected, public space, response, share
- : It is staged

Of course there are lot of other works I consider Agency Art: First of
all *Darren
O'Donnell*'s social theater works and his book *Social Acupuncture*, which
argues for an aesthetics of civic engagement, and *Miranda July*'s work
*Somebody*, where text messages are delivered by a real person, the
receiver might not know. But also *Félix González-Torres* *Untitled
(Portrait of Ross in L.A.)* (1991) a 175 pound-pile of candy, from which
visitors are encouraged to take samples, *Marina Abramović*: *The Artist Is
Present* and *512 hours*, where the public became the performing body, *Yoko
Ono*'s *Cut piece*, *Gego*'s work on networks and space and a lot of *Lygia
Clark*'s multi-sensory participative work.

I choose examples from fine art, dance, theatre, music, performance,
digital art and electronic poetry, which shows that Agency Art is beyond
these disciplines. It's not an extra one, it's not a new sect, in fact it's
not even interesting to look at it that way. Let it be more a point of
view, an anchor point from where to think critically about artistic
practices.

Why didn't I include the relational aesthetic artists? Why not for instance
Rirkit Ttiravanija who initiates ways to enable the public to be a part of
the art-making process?
Maybe because the public can't make real choices in his work, which is more
like a staged environment, which needs these people to make it alive, but
not really gives them any agency, they are not challenged to make choices
besides being there or not being there.

I think some works by *Eduardo Kac* like *Darker than Night* and *Teleporting
an Unknown State* 1994/96 would also apply. And what about Conversational
Robots? *Eliza* once was of a great influence on how I regarded
conversation. There are certainly some bio-art works that I should
consider. I am interested – if you know some good examples, please let me
know.
Live-coding could also be included, especially when not done alone. And I
would also like to include Burak Arikan's applet called Mypocket, if he
made it available to all.
Live cinema (for instance the *cinéma émotive* of Marie Laure Cazin, who
uses spectator's brainwaves to make a live montage of a film, and Roderick
Coover and Scott Rettberg's *The Interrogations Project*; a navigational VR
film), sofar has the inconvenience that the agency is restricted to one
participant. (btw the same is true for most online hypertextual works).

together of artists and performers in the moment of the event, erasure of
the artistic ego, community, immediacy, practice, changing rules, choices,
connecting, accepting the unexpected, public space, response, share,
protocol, apparatus, collaboratively authored, open to all, collective,
temporal behavioural phenomena, healing, enactment, improvisation,
including environmental conditions, attentional strategies, instructions,
temporary meeting place, embracing the ordinary, on location, coming
together, rehearsing alternatives, re-hijacking therapy, exercise our
relations to others, our social (in)capacity, explore rituals, being
together, participatory, individual, politics*

*"Agency Art is art that makes it clear to the receiver via his or her body
what is at stake, where opportunities for action lie, and which virtual
behaviours he or she can actualize. It demonstrates how choices work, and
how to create patterns that retain their coherence while you remain part of
them and transform when you move within their field of action."*

Agency Art is made of interaction, but should be constructed, looked at
with intra-active glasses.

Barad : Agency is not held, it is not a property of persons or things;
rather, agency is an enactment, a matter of possibilities for reconfiguring
entanglements. So agency is not about choice in any liberal humanist sense;
rather, it is about the possibilities and accountability entailed in
reconfiguring material-discursive apparatuses of bodily production,
including the boundary articulations and exclusions that are marked by
those practices.

First of all, agency is about response-ability, about the possibilities of
mutual response, which is not to deny, but to attend to power imbalances.
Agency is about possibilities for worldly re-configurings. So agency is not
something possessed by humans, or non-humans for that matter. It is an
enactment. And it enlists, if you will, “non-humans” as well as “humans.”
Interview with Karen Barad by Rick Dolphijn and Iris van der Tuin, June 6,
2009.
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/o/ohp/11515701.0001.001/1:4.3/--new-materialism-interviews-cartographies?rgn=div2;view=fulltext

All the best
Annie

ps very much interested in holes, errors, gaps in this ...