Greetings,

following on the thread about academia.edu
others use researchgate.net ?
I am trying to find out how they compare..
I am on both, but recently have mainly attended to researchgate
(I prefer the UI and features).
I am still debating if this is really worth it..
A not-for-profit platform would make (more) sense.

Then there is Mendeley, LinkedIn (but their new UI does not highlight publications I find), others .. ?

Some (more) thoughts on the matter:
http://fossilsandshit.com/researchgate-academia-edu-and-bigger-problems-with-scholarly-publishing/

Then this:
http://libguides.brunel.ac.uk/c.php?g=434400&p=2970906
Interestingly:
"The fine print
Whenever you sign up for a service, it’s a good idea to read the Terms of Use. Academia.edu’s terms give the company a license to make derivative works (like translations?) based on articles users upload to the site “in connection with operating and providing the Services and Content to you and to other Members.” ResearchGate’s terms include an agreement to have the user’s relationship with the company be governed by German law. And both sites have an indemnification clause, asserting that if the site faces any legal claims arising from things users upload to the site, the user will bear the cost."

--
Frederic Fol Leymarie
Goldsmiths, University of London