it's a bit tangential, but in 2007 stephen schrumm presented a proposed
taxonomy of digital performance. i wrote a bit about it in my masters
thesis:

At the 2007 Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE)
conference in New Orleans,
Stephen Schrum presented a “Proposed Taxonomy of Digital Performance”
(Schrum, 2007).
Prompted by the absence of such a thing, he offered his taxonomy as a
starting point for a
discussion around common terms within the field of digital performance
that might be agreed
on and adopted. His taxonomy defines eight general areas across a
spectrum with “traditional”
(theatre production that does not include digital technology) at one end
and a hypothetical
“interactive holographic theatre” (full immersion and interaction in a
virtual world) at the
other. It is the seventh area, “computer-mediated performance” which
bears most relevance to
this research. Schrum defines computer-mediated performance as
“[p]erformance [that]
happens through the computer screen” and subdivides it into a further
two categories: “RL-
adapted performance” and “cyberspace performance”. The first he defines
as “Plays about
Real-Life (RL) performed in cyberspace” while the second is “Plays
created and set in
cyberspace; performed in cyberspace” and for both he gives examples of
works that use the
internet.

(& there's some more discussion about how cyberformance might fit into
such a taxonomy, or not).

unfortunately the link i had then (10 years ago) doesn't work now. but
you could probably get it from steve himself if you think it would be
useful.

h : )

On 16.09.2017 14:39, Michael Szpakowski wrote:
> Nothing to contribute, sadly, but very keen to see anything that comes
> out of this - do share!
> cheers
> michael

helen varley jamieson