Date:        Tue, 14 Jul 2015 00:43:57 +0000 (UTC)
    From:        chris...@astron.com (Christos Zoulas)

  | Yes, this is required for booting from raid.

It is required to make the root on raid work automatically, not for
booting.

  | I am wondering why the keyboard is not functional for you.

I suspect (well, really, I'm sure) that's an entirely unrelated problem,
one which has been reported several times before - there must be something
about some systems that NetBSD's initial keyboard access stuff (before
wekbd gets a chance to get involved) isn't doing properly.   If he can get
booting working properly, it shouldn't matter normally.

  | Try raidctl -A softroot <device>

I'd suggest not.   It won't make the boot work - cannot possibly help with
that, and will only make it difficult to recover (again - though now it has
been done once, at least a working method is known), whereas now it is easy
to simply start again.

As I said a week or two ago - you need to get to the state where the kernel
boots, autoconfigures devices, and then fails to find the root filesystem
(booting from the wd discs, not the USB plugin) - when you have that much
working, then is the time to reboot from the USB, and do that raidctl to
allow the root raid to appear.

kre