On Jun 18, 2021, at 3:43 PM, Chavdar Ivanov <ci4...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jun 2021 at 19:36, Robert Nestor <rnes...@mac.com> wrote:
>>
>> Playing with FreeDOS 1.2 and 1.3 under nvmm on a NetBSD 9.1-amd64 system and
>> ran into some issues.  Basically I can do an install from the FreeDOS-1.2 CD
>> and run the system afterwards without an issue, but trying to install
>> FreeDOS-1.3 the same way aborts in nvmm.  If the FreeDOS 1.3 install is done
>> on actual hardware it succeeds and the resulting disk image file will boot
>> and run fine under nvmm.  I’ve also tried running an old copy of Norton
>> Symantec Ghost 2003 under both versions (to recover some old files).  It
>> runs find on real hardware but aborts under nvmm.
>>
>> Oh, to avoid the system reboot during the installation after FreeDOS
>> partitions and formats the new disk, I do this beforehand using qemu-image
>> create, vndconfig, fdisk, and newfs_msdos.
>>
>> #
>> # This works for a FreeDOS 1.2 install
>> #
>> qemu-system-x86_64 -accel nvmm -cpu 486 -smp 1 -m 768 -cdrom ./FD12LGCY.iso
>> -netdev tap,id=nd0,ifname=tap0,script=no,downscript=no -device
>> rtl8139,netdev=nd0 -drive file=./FreeDOS-1.2.dsk,media=disk,format=raw
>>
>> #
>> # This fails for a FreeDOS 1.3 install
>> #
>> qemu-system-x86_64 -accel nvmm -cpu 486 -smp 1 -m 768 -cdrom ./FD13LIVE.iso
>> -netdev tap,id=nd0,ifname=tap0,script=no,downscript=no -device
>> rtl8139,netdev=nd0 -drive file=./FreeDOS-1.3.dsk,media=disk,format=raw
>> #
>> # Error displayed when install fails:
>> #
>> NetBSD Virtual Machine Monitor accelerator is operational
>> qemu-system-x86_64: NVMM: Mem Assist Failed [gpa=0xb018f]
>> qemu-system-x86_64: NVMM: Failed to execute a VCPU.
>
> I got the same running the newest available qemu-nvmm under today's
> -current (well, I prepared the volume myself after the first boot from
> the cdrom and started the actual installation after the reboot; the
> error takes place after the installation script starts copying data on
> the disk); my backing store was a zvol and the command line was c/p-ed
> from my other vm's, displaying over vnc.

That’s where I saw the error as well - in the file copy which seems like it
should be a pretty benign operation.  In my case the volumes and such were all
on a local disk, so nothing out of the ordinary.  Since the abort happens
during the installation of the copy of the files to the new disk I tried just
doing an xcopy of everything on the boot disk to a new disk and that works OK
which makes the error seem even stranger.

> I think it is worth a pr. I've looked at the gdb trace, but it doesn't
> tell me a lot, to be honest

OK, I’ll file a PR against NVMM then assuming that were the problem might lie.