El 11/7/24 a las 19:20, Michael van Elst escribió:
ea1...@gmail.com (Ramiro Aceves) writes:

Just a probably silly question: If I want to read the sensor that is
being used by the bmh280thp driver, should I stop the driver first or
the sensor can be inquired by the driver and my program ?

You should remove the driver.

Thanks Michael for the explanation and recommendations. I understand it better now.

Regards.
Ramiro.

The driver gets regularly called (by envsys) and talks to the hardware.
If you do the same using the iic driver, both accesses get mixed.

For simple hardware that just needs a register read, that might be
harmless. But the bm280 needs a sequence of write and read accesses
that will be disturbed. You won't get correct measurements.

For other i2c controlled hardware (think about a power controller) you
might even cause permanent damage.