Since I've received a private reply, I'll point out the main issue here:

Not only does the web service that the form sends this information to need
to be secure, but the form itself must be secure.

It's possible that the javascript that the page uses to submit the password
(the registration page is an angular.js app) submits to a service secured
with HTTPS already, but by that time it's too late. Since the javascript
itself was loaded over an insecure connection, it can be modified with a
"man in the middle" attack to submit the data somewhere else--therefore
neither the javascript nor the page can be trusted.