-1 for only 2 releases per year. This is far to less and will end up with the
Oracle model, where we only have 2 releases per year (Round About, look at the
Roadmaps, you see often big time between a new release and an old one). We will
not be competitive to other IDEs, we are still now lack of a lot of Features
(Little ones, which make everyone happy and Handy and big ones). IMHO the
biggest Problem now with the NetCat is still the donation process. I guess, it
will be less problematic after we have everything in Apache and completed
donation.

To put it back to the JDK Version is also not good, again only IMHO, because
NetBeans is still not a Java DIE anymore we should remove this thinking which
is still in the heads of a lot of developers. And to put that thinking away,
NetBeans Needs more advertisement of the other Features and more implementation
of stuff, which is still missing (Angular, Vue, JSON Schema, other language
supports, etc.)

How will the Patches look like? Only bug fixes? What About Major Releases like
11, 12, 13 and in between 11.1, 11.2 with new Features?

I mean we can have 11 in Feb and 12 in I don’t know August which is 6 Months
and in between we should have 11.1 and 11.2 which is not only a bugfix for a
lot of Bugs, also with new Features, but not that big. So Maybe no NetCat for
11.1 and 11.2 or not that much time spending on that. Maybe reducing the NetCat
process or changing it? Come one, there can be a lot more stuff to make it
better and possible. I know and this is a big Benefit, that NetBeans is real
stable. I switched from Eclipse now 5 years ago to NetBeans, because of 2
simple Plugins of Eclipse, that broke the whole IDE. I know that we Need that
Quality. So IntelliJ or the JetBrains based IDEs are also real stable.

So I think we can handle it.

And no, using the development Version is not an Option, they are often not
stable and not possible to use it in production. I tried it from 7.0 – 7.2 I
end up with a nightly build with a lot of NPE after starting the DIE so I had
to go back tot the stable Version and had to wait 3 more months for the new
Fancy Features.

Agian, I think after the donation process, it will be more easy, so we should
wait a whole year 2019 to see what happens then and should discuss it again
after the last release of 2019. We should not overreact yet.

My 2 cents

Cheers

Chris