> What eeprom part and vendor are you using?

atmel 93C46B

> your eeprom seems to have 64 words.  The addr_len being incorrect
> might be causing a problem. is there any chance you could try hard
> coding it?

I tried this, it did not help, the reads were still bogus.  I'm still
leaning toward
 an address mapping issue.  Would any of the pci kernel parameters
 have any effect here?  Well, I'm going to try out a few anyhow, to see
 if it changes anything.

> admittedly this is from old old email in this thread, but I think
> something in eepro100 may need some cpu_to_le16 because they seem to
> be reading an incorrect mac address, or the eeprom's words are
> backwards.  in later threads that seems to be okay.
>  > eth0: OEM i82557/i82558 10/100 Ethernet, 50:00:0F:C2:E0:F8, IRQ 12.
>
> This might be a clue, I'm not sure.

Yes, early on I discovered several problems with the way the EEPROM
 was being programmed, but interestingly?, the error was not with the
 checksum, even though that was what the error message reported.
 I think we now have the EEPROM programmed correctly.

--
Thanks,
-Bob