David S. Miller wrote:
> From: Nathanael Nerode <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 15:34:07 -0400
>

>>Debian's policy means that it can't ship the firmware in its kernel
>>source package, because that goes in "main" and has to satisfy all kinds
>>of requirements.
>

> Exactly as I suspected, and you removed the CC: list in your
> response which really angers me.  Why can't you show your
> true reasons for desiring this change on the mailing list?

Oh, please forward my message to the mailing list if you wish to.
On second thought, I'll save you the trouble and do it myself.

I hit "reply" instead of "reply all".  Things have been a mess around
here lately and I've been flakier than usual.  If you're going to get
angry, please find a better reason.  Are you still angry because I
(among other people) wanted to get the copyright license on the firmware
fixed so it actually worked?  Well, it's fixed now, and thanks for
incorporating it.

If you wish to keep the firmware in the .c file for whatever reason,
that's your prerogative.  Personally, I can't see any technical reason
for not separating the firmware into a separate header file -- it seems
to be the standard practice -- but if you have a reason I'd love to hear
it.  It's reasonable from a file-size perspective, anyway; the tg3.c
file is 300K, and the firmware is 42K of that, so it's not creating any
gratuitously small files.