From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 21:49:34 -0400

> The semantics of the two are very different. real_dev is in regards to
> stacked interfaces and input_dev is in reference to track what the last
> ingress interface was. So it is ambigous to have them to be the same
> thing. As an example, "redirecting from eth20 (which is not part of
> bond0) to bond0" is not the same as "packet last seen on bond0 was
> received on eth0 (which is part of bond0)"

I think in the end it ends up being the same thing.

And the current specific settings of input_dev has the following
problems:

1) you cannot ingress classify on tunneling virtual devices, since
   ->input_dev only gets set for (some) hardware device types

2) not all hardware device types are supported, because we have
   to add specific settings of ->input_dev, which is just broken

I have never ever seen one good argument for the way input_dev
is set now, and your new response is no different.

Why, for example, are hardware devices any different from virtual ones
for ingress classification purposes?  A clean generic interface would
consider them the same and equally specifyable.  Right?

Every time a driver decapsulation happens (regardless of whether
this is some hardware or virtual device), we have a new input
device to classify upon.  I don't see why you wish to continue
breaking this logical representation.