On Tue, 2005-26-07 at 13:00 -0700, David S. Miller wrote:

> Calling __dev_get_by_index() at every classification check is quite
> silly and potentially expensive, so let's call using ifindex a last
> resort, yet correct, fix.

Just double checking (I think we are saying the same thing),
that using ifindices and requiring refcounting for input_dev means you
have to use __dev_get_by_index() on a per-packet basis.

The contention is if we do really care about refcounting: I dont think
we do. The only time it would really matter is when a module or device
is hotplugged out and back in.

cheers,
jamal