Pavel Machek wrote:
Hi!

I noticed that wireless patches are now in the mainline. That is good,
patches are getting smaller, but it is going to make future user
interface changes harder; and thats very bad.

There are good reasons to have wireless interfaces as wlanX, with
tcpdump showing wireless packetes, etc; but current patches name it
ethX, and you get plain ethernet packets on tcpdump. Are we going to
keep showing wireless interfaces as ethernet ones forever, or do we
plan to switch to wlanX? If we decide to switch, we should either
switch before 2.6.14, or disable wireless before 2.6.14 so that we do
not confuse users too badly...

We will continue to develop ieee80211 in the mainline kernel. 2.6.14 is not some magic barrier that prevents major changes.

        Jeff