On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 07:16:03PM +0200, Patrick McHardy wrote:
> Matt Mackall wrote:
> > If we move to softirq-only processing, it will not be a serial cable
> > replacement. It won't capture the tricky oopses you normally need a
> > serial cable for and it won't work with kgdb. It will be an awkward
> > syslogd and nothing more. I won't have any use for it and I suspect no
> > one else will either. It will be universally pointless.
>
> Not sure if its possible, but perhaps you could register the panic
> notifier to do whatever is necessary to get an oops out.

It's not really just about oopses.

Consider the case of:

         printk("Starting subsystem X\n");
         start_x();
         printk("Starting subsystem Y\n");
         start_y();

And we get:

Starting subsystem X
<hang>

If we queue such messages, we get:

<hang>

The first case has managed to localize the problem, the second tells
us nothing.

This is why serial console is polling for all printks. It's critical to
get any and all messages out immediately.