* Jamal Hadi Salim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 2005-11-09 18:49
> Historically we point such routes to the dummy device. Remember diald
> and good ole SLIP dial on demand? I would suspect it should still work
> the same way.
> Actually, probably use a blackhole route which will swallow such packets
> alive instead of dummy. i.e when link is down for such a device you
> (whoever is configuring) makes the route a blackhole. And when its
> operationaly up it is made point to the correct device. In other words I
> think this is the responsibility of the link manager.

This is not only about dial on demand but about "on demand" interfaces.
We need to have a route to the device so the driver/manager/whatever can
see the demand. If we disable routes on !IFF_RUNNING we don't have this
route and we never see the demand. That's where the solution of deleting
all routes upon carrier loss fails.

> But if you made the driver the proxy for making the state transitions we
> should be fine, no?

I would absolutely appreciate a solution where no driver has to be
changed, userspace should be able to put an interface to dormant state
without any support from the driver.