Kazunori Miyazawa wrote:
> Hello Patrick,
>
> I have a comment about the patch on the IPv6 input process.
> The kernel applied your patch will always call ip6_rcv_finish
> when enabling netfilter and receiving a esp packet so that
> it will always look up the routing table and parse
> extention headers twice a packet.
> It will probably cost.
>
> Your ip_xfrm_transport_hook is a good idea, I think.

Yes, not passing the packets through the entire stack seems like
the right thing to do.

> We could call ip6_rcv_finish if the netfilter changed the addresses
> or otherwise we can continue the loop to avoid the cost in a similar
> way because we can know the change with checking skb->dst.
>
> If you fix the point, your change will resolve our issues which were
> mentioned in the previous mail from Kozakai-san.

The problem is that netfilter hooks take ownership of the skb, so the
caller can't touch it afterwards. It would be possible, but it would
become very ugly. Can I assume that you would also be satisfied if
the double-parsing of extension headers is fixed in some other way?