> Btw, you may consider using netdev@vger.kernel.org instead of
> the obsolete [EMAIL PROTECTED], especially as M. Cox is in India.

Oh!  I remember once making the opposite error and getting a bounce,
so the fact that netdev is NOT hosted as vger is stuck in my head.
I guess it's changed now.

(Of course, I have only recently gotten my fingers to stop auto-completing
"vger.rutgers.edu", so that might have been a while ago...)

> If you can put the card in a crashme/testme computer, feel free to try
> the patches at:
> http://www.zoreil.com/~romieu/linux/kernel/2.6.x/2.6.15-rc2/via-velocity/20051128

Neat, thanks!  Are they actually likely to mess up the host or make it
unstable, or are you just saying "hey, these are for TESTING, capiche?"

I currently have the card installed in a machine, and while it's a
production machine, taking it down to single-user at some odd hour
and doing a bit of testing is not really any more outage, and less
effort, than taking the machine down, removing the card, reconfiguring
the net without it, installing it in a different machine, testing there,
and reversing the process to put the card back.

Is it so bad there's serious concern it might corrupt a mounted file system?

> The patches apply on top of each other. I'd suggest doing a first round
> of testing without VLAN to check that the usual flow did not experience
> collateral damages.
>
> If it works fine, enable VLAN when the last patch is applied and add
> a single vlan with vconfig. If it does not crash, tcpdump + ping in
> both direction w/wo VLAN may help fix the issues.

Great!  Tonight is got good, but I'll get to it soon.